Catchy headline, isn’t it? Made you decide to read further to see what it was all about, right?
You can thank VoteNowKY, a new non-partisan organization dedicated to one mission: getting more people to vote.
Started by the Coalition of Women’s Organizations, this new movement is focused this year on increasing turnout in Louisville. They then plan on using what they learn from this election and spreading the effort statewide in 2020.
One of their primary targets is young adults. Did you know that in 2020, the largest voting bloc will NOT be Baby Boomers? Instead, it will be Millennials and the generation after them, Generation Z. Getting those two groups engaged in the political process, and committed to voting, is a key goal of VoteNowKY.
VoteNowKY does not have staff, at least not yet. They are counting on their partner organizations and everyday citizens to take the message to members, friends, co-workers, and anywhere they can.
The message is simple:
- Your vote makes a difference.
- Here’s how you can vote to make that difference.
They have prepared two PDF handouts that anyone is free to use:
- A two-page 8.5 x 11 handout that you can print front and back, that has all the info anyone would need to get registered, then either vote absentee or go vote on November 5.
- Another two-page 8.5 x 11 handout that has the campaign graphic on one side, and a condensed version of the information on the other.
The handouts are colorful, but also full of good information. Organizations, clubs, businesses, and faith groups should print these and hand them out! Since the organization is non-partisan, so are the handouts; they are there to help anyone vote!
The groups involved
As noted above, this effort was started by the Coalition of Women’s Organizations. This is a group of women’s organizations that work together on various projects, and includes the following member organizations:
- American Association of University Women, Louisville Branch
- Coalition of Labor Union
- Derby City Women
- Delta Sigma Theta
- Junior League of Louisville
- Louisville Chapter of The Links Inc.
- Louisville Metro Office for Women
- National Council of Jewish Women, Louisville Section
- National Council of Negro Women
- United Nations Association of the United States of America, Kentucky Division
- Women Lawyers Association of Jefferson County
VoteNowKY also has the following supporting groups:
- Bellarmine University
- Commonwealth Alliance
- Jewish Community Relations Council
- Simmons College of Kentucky
- South Asian Women’s Association
- Spalding University
- University of Louisville Cultural Center
And, VoteNowKY has its own leadership helping to get this work off the ground:
- Talley Russell, chair
- Honi Marleen Goldman, vice chair
- Sarah J. Waskey, treasurer and social media chair
- Keshia Swan, social media advisor
- Maria A. Fernandez, legal advisor
For more information, or to make a donation to the work, go to their information-filled web site at VoteNowKY.org. Print out the handouts, make lots of copies, and get people to register before 4 PM on Monday – then get everyone you know to go vote!
Forward Kentucky Newsletter
Sign up for free to get the latest news right in your inbox.