Remember: Trump Gone or Not, We Have Work To Do
I’ve been reading Twitter a lot lately, both to keep up and to get story ideas and leads. A recent comment on there, though, got me thinking, and I thought I’d expand on it.
The point of the tweet was that the prospect of Trump et al getting impeached, while enticing, is also a distraction. Ultimately, even if we get President Hatch (!), we still have a Congress and a state house that are determined to take away health insurance, get rid of Medicare and Medicaid, turn Social Security into a Wall Street cash cow, and give even more money and power to the rich while ignoring or actually hurting everyone else.
So, even while you hope that #TrumpRussia gets people thrown out of office and thrown into jail, remember:
- We have bad bills to stop.
- We have town halls to attend.
- We have letters to write, and faxes to send, and phone calls to make.
- We have candidates to find, for every office out there.
- We have money to raise, because the big donors will give to Repubs, and we have to match them with thousands upon thousands of grassroots donations.
- And we have to organize, and work, and take back our state and our country.
Remember: whether Trump goes or stays, we have work to do.
About the Author
Bruce Maples has been involved in politics and activism since 2004, when he became active in the Kerry Kentucky movement. He has been President, Vice-President, and Treasurer of the Metro Democratic Club, and has served on the Democratic Party Executive Committee in Louisville. He began blogging in 2004, and currently operates two personal blogs (BruceMaples.com and brucewriter.com). He founded Forward Kentucky in the wake of the state elections in 2015, and expanded it in the summer of 2016. He has lived in Louisville since 1992 with his wife and two sons.